UPDATE: CBS paid $5 million in hush money over sexual-assault claims against '60 Minutes' creator: report
CBS Corp. (CBS) has paid a former employee more than $5 million in hush money over a period spanning more than 20 years over accusations that legendary "60 Minutes" creator and producer Don Hewitt sexually assaulted her multiple times, the New York Times reported (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/business/media/60-minutes-jeff-fager-don-hewitt.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage) late Thursday. The Times, citing a draft report by the CBS board into the media giant's workplace culture, said the woman claimed Hewitt sexually assaulted her over a period of years and destroyed her career. CBS found the accusations credible, the Times said, and reached a settlement in the 1990s paying her $450,000 for her silence. The agreement has been updated six times since then, the Times said, for a total payout of more than $5 million. Hewitt died in 2009. The same report reportedly found that the independence "60 Minutes" enjoyed from the rest of the CBS News division fostered a culture permissive of misconduct, and found that last year's firing of "60 Minutes" executive producer Jeff Fager for misconduct (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/60-minutes-producer-jeff-fager-leaves-cbs-after-threatening-email-to-reporter-2018-09-12) was justified. The CBS board is scheduled to review the report next week, along with findings about a probe into the alleged sexual misconduct of ousted CEO Les Moonves (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cbs-has-grounds-to-deny-les-moonves-his-120-million-severance-report-2018-12-04).
-Mike Murphy; 415-439-6400; AskNewswires@dowjones.com
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
December 06, 2018 19:56 ET (00:56 GMT)
Copyright (c) 2018 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.