By Robert Schroeder, MarketWatch
President knocks 'Three Stooges' as Sanford becomes latest primary challenger
President Donald Trump on Monday said he welcomed the involvement of an activist investor in AT&T, suggesting it could lead to a stop to what he routinely describes as "fake news" from CNN.
After Elliott Management revealed a $3.2 billion stake in AT&T, as well as a plan the activist investor says could bring a 65% gain in the telecom giant's (T) stock by the end of 2021, Trump tweeted, "As the owner of VERY LOW RATINGS @CNN, perhaps they will now put a stop to all of the Fake News emanating from its noncredible 'anchors.'"
See:Activist investor takes stake in AT&T, calls for sales of some businesses ( ).
Trump didn't comment further about the Elliott plan. The president has frequently attacked CNN and just three months ago called for a boycott of AT&T ( ). The network and the White House got into a dispute last week as controversy over Trump's claim that Hurricane Dorian threatened Alabama was raging. A CNN spokesperson tweeted the network had its highest August ratings on record last month.
Read:White House tells CNN to 'study up on U.S. geography,' and the gloves are off ().
New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman noted Trump's subsequent tweet bashing CNN as "bad for the USA" came as the network was reporting that the U.S. extracted from Russia one of its highest-level covert sources inside the Russian government, partly over concerns about how Trump handled classified intelligence ().
TALIBAN TALKS 'DEAD'
Trump called peace talks with the Taliban "dead" as he left the White House for a rally in North Carolina.
Trump called off a secret meeting this weekend at Camp David with Taliban and Afghanistan leaders after a bombing in Kabul last week killed an American soldier.
Now see:Trump reveals via tweet that secret Camp David meeting on Sunday with Taliban is canceled ().
Trump attacked a trio of Republicans who are challenging him for the GOP presidential nomination, dubbing them the "Three Stooges."
He singled out former South Carolina governor and congressman Mark Sanford, the latest to announce his candidacy. Sanford joins former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld and former Rep. Joe Walsh.
On Twitter, Trump referenced Sanford's 2009 disappearance from South Carolina's capital, in which he later admitted he was in Argentina having an extramarital affair. "But now take heart, he is back, and running for President of the United States. The Three Stooges, all badly failed candidates, will give it a go!" Trump said. He also told reporters he would not debate the challengers. "I'm not looking to give them any credibility," he said.
Now read:GOP won't give much help to Trump primary challengers ().
In another tweet, Trump addressed a Politico story that said aircrews had occasionally stayed at his Scotland resort while refueling at a small commercial airport nearby (). "NOTHING TO DO WITH ME," Trump said -- though he complemented the crew's "good taste" for staying at one of his properties.
Sign up for Trump Today and more MarketWatch newsletters ().
-Robert Schroeder; 415-439-6400; AskNewswires@dowjones.com
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
September 09, 2019 15:52 ET (19:52 GMT)
Copyright (c) 2019 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.